Friday, July 31, 2009

Don't Ya Like Jammin' With Me?


I have made jam! I got 21 half-pints of strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry jam out of my labors today. Tomorrow when everything is cooled off, congealed and (hopefully) fully sealed, we shall see whether I did my jamming correctly today.

Some of my veggies have taken a turn for the worse! I don't know what might have happened, but all of a sudden my beans and peas just dried right up on me, and my cucumbers have begun producing bitter fruit with a sticky juice that coats the inside of the mouth like sap...ECGH! I haven't watered them any less than when I was bringing them up. The only thing I can think of is that the hotter weather mixed with larger plants means that the water I was giving them wasn't enough. Any ideas? At least my tomatoes are still producing nicely. Everything else in my garden is either a has-been or a never-will-be (muskmelons and strawberries).

Emily and I have put a contract on a piece of property in Winder, GA. It is on 1.44 acres in unincorporated Winder. There is a singlewide mobile home in near perfect shape on the property, and it has a well and an outbuilding with electricity. We hope to close on it during the first half of August. That is where we will be living when we move in September!

On Saturday July 18, we went to a Pioneer Day Celebration at church. It is a yearly commemoration of July 24, the day the Mormon Pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley after leaving their homes in the east and midwest. The Pioneer Day Celebration was really cool. I participated in a log cutting contest, made butter, made ice cream, ate grilled corn, made rope, made a candle, drank home made root beer, and saw a lot of antique machinery people used such as a hand-cranked washing machine and a scythe. With my penchant for homesteading these days, this thing was right up my alley!

We are going to court on August 10 for child stuff. Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment