Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graywater System

Cameron says...

I have been promising my dad I would send him some pictures of my graywater system for a while now. So here it is. This first image is the collection point. I drilled a hole in the wall between my laundry room and the garage and extended my washing machine drain hose so that it was long enough to reach behind the dryer, through the wall, and up to the top of my collection barrel.



Inside the barrel is a 1/3 HP submersible utility pump that sucks water through its bottom and pumps it out the top, which is fitted with a standard garden hose adapter. I have attached a hose and fed it through the lid of the barrel with a 90-degree elbow to prevent kinking. The leader hose is attached to a splitter (hanging down on the right side of the barrel). One hose goes to the front yard, and one to the back. The idea when Em and I set up the system was to use the graywater to water the lawn. That's why we have the splitter. We have since decided to keep using the sprinklers in the front lawn and use the graywater only in the backyard since the [expletive] dog has chewed up my sprinklers back there. We also are using graywater exclusively in the garden. We have a second 55-gallon drum in the backyard, which I just set up for use today! I so excite! I drilled a 7/8" hole near the bottom and installed a hose bib so I have 55 gallons of pure (except for the dirt from my clothes and the biodegradable detergent) on demand!

I never thought I'd be so excited about moving water.

hose from the garage to the back yard

garden barrel

No comments:

Post a Comment